gogotomica

gogotomica

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Toy Car Shopping in Hong Kong

KEN'S GARAGE
Ken's Garage: Tin Hau MTR exit A1 @ Apple Mall
This is a small shop but full of treasures. Pictures will say a thousand words, please see below in order to verify my words. Every time I go to Ken's Garage, I will be welcomed by a "muscular" keeper in the shop but fear not, Ken is very friendly and welcomes any Tomica collector who loves new and vintage Tomica. Only one thing that I may complain is, if shop too crowded, I will be sitting on a chair outside of the shop waiting for Doctor Ken to serve all his "patients" before my turn is called.

Ken does keep an updated supply of Tomicas, specials or regular as he visit Tomica land once or twice every month. Above box of Tomicas are his new stock freshly open from his recent Japan trip. Unfortunately, I did not get anything because those Tomica which I really like are too expensive for me. For example, a racing BMW 320 (limited or special edition) cost more than HKD1000, I didn't know exact price but it is more than HKD1000. I was 10 days in Hong Kong and I went to Ken's Garage thrice. First time to grab his newly source Tomica from Japan and place order for Tomica. Second time was to collect my stuff and bought more Tomica. Third time to see more new stuff which Ken acquired from a collector giving up his collection so of course I bought more too. Total spend this trip in Ken's Garage alone is approx. HKD3500. Mixtures of regulars, special editions and vintages.

Mainly Tomica (99%) and occasionally some others like Johnny Lightning. This time I do see some Bburago on consignment too.



Vintage Gift Sets

More Vintage Gift Sets

Mixture of all era Tomicas

Foreign Series Tomica

Black Box Series Vintage Tomica

Special Edition Tomica

Red White Box Tomica (Japan Made)
If you want to buy reasonably priced Tomica, this is the place you must go. Ken's Garage has almost any Tomica of different era or series (if they are available). If they are not available, you can request and he will hunt it for you during his Japan shopping trip if you are his regular. I got 6 sets of Rally Tomica Set (WRX & EVO)from him as I requested from him months ago.
TOYZONE
Toyzone: Causeway Bay MTR exit D towards SOGO

See this bridge, walk towards it.


Upon reaching the stairs of the round bridge, you should be in Sugar Street. Look out for this building, Causeway Bay Commercial Building, on the left. Take the elevator to 16th floor.


This is how Toyzone look like inside. They have display case filled with toys sold by collectors who are selling on consignment. Toyzone carries mainly vintage or hard to find toys which is not available in shops. You can find all kind of toys in Toyzone from model cars, model kit, figurine, tin toys etc. If you are a collector of new toys or new Tomica, then I will tell you not to waste time here because this is paradise for vintage collectors. I did managed to buy some vintage toy cars like Playart, Corgi and Tomica (bought around 20 pcs this time). Condition from loose, played with to mint in box condition.


Saw this article in Toyzone. Shop owner found 79,000 pieces of old new stock of 60 different Tomica models in Uruguay Customs warehouse. He paid a total of 7 digit for these old stocks. All box and cars never been open before so they are MINT car in MINT box. But if your target price is only HKD20 per car, I think you better move on to continue to collect your new regular Tomica. These are worth at least HKD200 each or more depending on model.

F1 Cars

Vintage Dinky, Corgi & others

Some vintage Hotwheels & Tomica

Vintage Tin Toys

I bought one bus from this case
Above shown are just some cases showing different types of model cars. There are actually quite a number of cases featuring vintage Tomica. If you are into vintage Tomica, you should come here but the price is set by collector and not the shop so no way for you to bargain with seller. Staff of Toyzone are quite professional as I requested my bus to be packed as I need to carry it back to Singapore. As the bus is loose, they help me packed it in a box filled with foam packing. If you are first time there and like to see all kind of vintage, you could spend at least 1 to 2 hours there.
TAI YUAN STREET

Tai Yuan Street: Wanchai MTR exit A3 Johnston Road

There are a total of 5 to 6 toy shops in Tai Yuan Street aka Toy Street in Hong Kong. I usually patronize in 2 shops there only. The most famous is Hung Hing. You will definately know this shop if you are a Tomica freak.

HUNG HING

Hung Hing is always packed with customers regardless of the time or the day you go.

If you manage to get in, you will need to squeeze through the narrow passage for one person. You might need to wait a little while if the shop is too crowded but it is worth the wait if you are craving for Tomica because the whole stretch of the display case on the left are filled up with regular, special and vintage Tomica. Hung Hing not only sell Tomica and also various brands like Ebbro, Choro Q, Siku, Corgi etc. Usually I will buy some special edition or vintage in Hung Hing. There are also some other vintage available, this time I have bought Eidai (package as MadMax), Lone Star, Dinky Hong Kong etc. They have almost anything in the shop including Hotwheels as Hotwheels are never taken seriously by Hong Kong collectors.

Vintage Foreign Series Tomica

Blister Pack Discontinue Tomica

Vintage Long Tomica

This is a must go for any Tomica enthusiast. This is also a place where I broke my wallet every visit.

YAT SING
Yat Sing is a toy shop but do sell regular Tomica and loose Tomica. They open up various gift sets and sell them as loose. They do have some old stock of Tomica Limited selling at low price but limited selection. There are some special edition Tomica as well but in small numbers. I scored in this shop for the "Not for Sale" Chrome Toyota Celica as I swept 10 pieces at a good price.

At a corner of the shop, Hotwheels are dumped into a 2 full containers as "junk" selling at HKD10 but nobody bother to take a 2nd look at all. Among all Asian countries, Hotwheels are treated seriously only in Singapore and Malaysia which I really don't understand why. Personally, I never like Hotwheels as I think they are junk as well. See how Hotwheels are treated in Hong Kong and you know how lowly they are treated there. Try asking any Hong Kong collectors if they really will buy Hotwheels? I bet it will be a no as they are not as widely available as compared to Tomica. I have seen children with parents in shops buying lots of Tomica and I believe the love for Tomica is cultivated since young. This is quite different from Singapore as I know some Tomica collectors here never played with Tomica during their childhood and they only cultivate the love for Tomica in their 30s. The worse collector I have seen are those who used to collect figurine and brought the mint box mint toy behaviour into collecting Tomica.

There are also quite a number of toy shops in Star House, Kowloon, but not so many Tomica. Any questions about shopping of toy cars in Hong Kong, you are welcome to send me a email or message.






54 comments:

  1. Oh boy! I love this post. Actually I just passed around the link on my site's mailing list. Thank you for the insight, it is really amusing and interesting to read about the different collector habits from the other side of the World. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam.Joe, well, I am also helping my friend, Ken, to promote his shop in the mean time. I have already check around in Hong Kong. The 3 main place to buy special or vintage Tomica is only Ken's Garage, Hung Hing and Toyzone. I am hoping to post my haul in HK soon by today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Prawn, thanks. You going to HK soon or another Japan trip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you buy the chrome celicas recently? i went in august 09 and saw them there, but regret not buying... i hope they still have some..

    chen

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, i'm going again in mid april, forgot to say

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ian, where are you from? They still have the Celicas there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello again, i'm from canada actually. these days i focus on collecting tomica regular & specials, as well as maisto 3/5" series

    i'm also hoping to drop by ken's garage. hope the shop won't be closed due to him being in japan sourcing inventory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ian, do you have msn or yahoo messenger? Mine is juliansclim@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sent you an email. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nossa muito legal o seu post..aqui no brasil não temos lugares tão interessantes para adquirir miniaturas de boa qualidade!!

    luigi (santos,sp,brasil)

    msn: ragazzodellaspiaggia@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Napoletano, just added you in MSN. Although not easy to buy miniature cars in Brazil but I believe there are many places selling old new stock in south America like Argentina who produces toys from 70s to 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Laser Pegs, will be shopping there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of my models of Lancia cars,
    http://djaferisp.blogspot.com/ (Alitalia liveried)
    http://lanciamodels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. can you recommend a good and cheap source of new Tomica models by mail order?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Toys cars are very famous in kids. I like all tomica models. Kids are very fond of car toys.
    Learning Toys

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! I’m really finding tips on how to buy used cars. And I think it’s important that we only deal with well-trusted people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Nice collection of Online Gift Shopping products, it's really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is possible that I go to Hong Kong for some days. I really would like to find some TOMICA Stores to buy some treasures. Now, does exist some store near the International Convention & Exhibicion Centre at Victoria's Harbour?

    ReplyDelete
  19. was yat sing the store where you the pic of hot wheels was from? how do I get to the store if I am coming from causeway bay by subway?

    ReplyDelete
  20. The blog is very informative and nice.Thanks a lot for sharing this.

    buy hot wheels cars online

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, is ken's garage still on their old address at causeway, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://gogotomica.blogspot.sg/2011/09/notice-kens-garage-shifted.html This is the new address

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, love all the info above. Im going to Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Thailand in a couple of months...any info on best shops to go to for tomica and hot wheels? Im more of a hot wheels collector but want to pick up tomica too. Where would be best value/cheaper to get most of them from? Any help would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, do they sell mitsubishi mirage car toys?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your blog about Audi RS5 RC Rideon Car Toys. Children's first love. All children want this beauty. Even my little boy loves it a lot. Last week I was thinking to give him a present of Audi RS5 RC Rideon Car, So I found the link name www.thebeststock.co.uk, here Audi RS5 RC Rideon Car are awesome with huge variety. My little boy was so so happy to get this kinda gift. You all must try to give as a gift to your children and make them happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Coming to Hongkong in August2017 last week and will be there upto 3Sept2017. Had earlier come to HK in 1986!!! Cannot wait to buy some good dinky cars.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When you use a genuine service, you will be able to provide instructions, share materials and choose the formatting style. https://autopartsgh.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have read your article couple of times because your views are on my own for the most part. It is great content for every reader. Toy Shop Cyprus

    ReplyDelete
  30. Our car removal services are free of cost. There are no unseen charges as so calm down as we don’t want to put you under any stress & We pay top cash for cars on the spot car removal brisbane | Free car removal brisbane | Address: 76 Sherbrooke Rd, Willawong 4110 | Phone No: 0421 223 011

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. centralina bmw e91

    ReplyDelete
  33. We offer more than what unwanted car owners want from their cars. We are a car buyer that will leave you with a happy face Car Buyer Hobart

    ReplyDelete
  34. Junk Car Removals is the best cash for cars gold coast and cash for cars ipswich up to $12000 with free car removal on the sameday

    ReplyDelete
  35. Salisbury Car Removal Wreckers have been providing services of car removal Brisbane to Brisbane and other encompassing areas. Our car removal service is absolutely free, and we do not charge for that at all.


    car removal hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  36. Canberra Cash 4 Cars was started to fulfill the gap in the market for cash for scrap car services. End-of-life vehicles were piling up in the area with only a few places for them to be sold.

    Car Valuation Canberra

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looking for the low budget, manual, and automatic rental cars in Chennai? Onroadz is the best car rental provider within the city and outstation which meets your budget needs. You can also hire premium cars for rent in Chennai airport for self driving within the city or outstation based on hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly packages at the most reliable cost.

    self drive cars rent in Coimbatore
    self driving rental cars in Madurai
    self driving rental car in Vizag
    self drive car rental in Vijayawada

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello there, I do believe your blog could possibly be having browser compatibility problems. When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, excellent site!
    Cash for Cars Removal Ashmore
    Car Removal Ashmore

    ReplyDelete
  39. I really love your site.. Pleasant colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself? Please reply back as I’m attempting to create my very own site and want to find out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Cheers!
    Car Removal Palmerston North
    Car Removal Palmerston

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi there! I simply want to offer you a big thumbs up for your great information you have got right here on this post. I will be coming back to your web site for more soon.
    car buyer ipswich
    sell your car Ipswich

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's a pleasure for your opinion. this blog is very informative this blog will help those who are working on cash for cars ipswich service . Thanks for sharing great information with us have a nice day.
    cash for cars ipswich

    ReplyDelete
  42. Vehicle history check I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  43. stofftier xxl Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for sharing such great knowledge with us. Looking for some more information from your blog.
    https://wawreckers.com.au/mandurah/
    free car removal

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello
    I Read your article. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information, and I hope you will share some more info about
    House Renovations in Hammersmith

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future. Car Servicing Peppard Common

    ReplyDelete
  47. White Alpaca is the leading toy shops in sydney. We serve out of the box and equipped with stock of productive toys.We procure all toys and other fun stuff from our trustable manufacturers who use harmless plastic material in toys, washable stuff or fabric in face masks, and high-quality wooden boards. The craft of the toys is easy and understandable to use, trick and solve.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Extremely inspiring and useful. I'm hoping you're going to continue to express your views. asset inventory management software

    ReplyDelete