gogotomica

gogotomica

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tomica vs Majorette - Audi A1 & R8

It's been sometime I have not done any die-cast comparison. I wanted to do a cover for Majorette for a long time but finally found the right car to do it. Majorette has many common cars with Tomica and I will cover that next time once I get enough cars from Majorette. As this year is a heavy import car year for Tomica, there are 2 Audis this year which comes as a surprise. Tomica has only made one Audi in Tomica history and it has been a gap for more than 30 years. The Audi 5000 (200 in some market) is actually a small casting (although a large Audi) but it is nicely made comparing to today's shrinking Tomica. I think Tomica has addressed that issue as I have not see any extraordinary small size midget appearing yet. Okay, I know the VW bug is a little small but it's 1/60 and it still can't beat the Avensis at 1/75. Since both Majorette and Tomica made the Audi A1 and Audi R8, I will do a comparo for the pairs.

We will start off the competition with the A1. Tomica (left) has a scale of 1/60 and made in Vietnam while the Majorette is slightly bigger at 1/58 and made in Thailand. Although I am more of a Tomica collector rather than Majorette, I have to say Majorette excel in the casting of the car. It looks just like an Audi A1. As for Tomica, you might have to crack your head a little especially from the side profile what car it actually represents. The Majorette has sharper lines on its casting too comparing to Tomica

Representation:
Tomica: 3 / 5
Majorette: 4.5 / 5

Detailing on both cars is totally on different class level. Tomica has very basic "trim" levels. It has no side mirrors like Majorette, no rear windows, no front and rear registration plates and no sport rims (but I am fine with that since I love button wheels, only Tomica collectors appreciates that). The frame from A-pillar to C-pillar on Tomica is painted white while the Majorette is painted with light silver. Most of the red A1 (real car) I saw are silver, I am not sure of white though. Majorette goes the extra mile to have plastic headlights similar to what Siku has done on their current production. Both cars do comes with suspensions. Both cars has an opening feature. Opening doors for the Majorette and opening hatch for Tomica. Tomica is never good in making rear opening hatch ever since the production shifted to China. If I ever been able to drive a Tomica, I can't do my reverse parking with fake rear windows.

Detailing / Features: 
Tomica: 2 / 5
Majorette: 4 / 5

Majorette uses suspension similar to that of Norev. A little too hard but at least Majorette still incorporate suspensions in their line of cars.

We saw that Majorette has improved in its line of regular cars comparing to those made in the last decade. How about the quality? Majorette which are made in Thailand suffers on poor paint quality. I have seen cars had paint chipping off even when they are still in their blisters. Majorette improve slightly on the paint used but the method of applying the paint still need some improvement. The A1 has some uneven paint finishing on the right side of the hood, the roof suffer some slight scuff marks. I realised that some cars in Majorette range had some problem on the roof. Take for example the Majorette Audi A5, I had a few of these A5 and they have scuff marks on the roof. Fortunately, they are only visible under sunlight. Tomica on the other hand excel in the paint department. No complains for Tomica here.

Paint Quality:
Tomica: 4 / 5
Majorette: 3 / 5

I will do a closer inspection on the fit and general finish. All opening parts opens and shuts well. Rolling the cars across the table made me spot some similarities between the 2 cars. The Tomica rear left wheel refuse to rotate and it seems like someone pulling the handbrake while driving it. The Majorette rear right wheel wobbles. The axle could have been slightly bent when fitting was done in the factory.

Fit & Finish:
Tomica: 3 / 5
Majorette: 3 / 5

Results:
Tomica: 12 / 20
Majorette: 14.5 / 20

It was rather impossible that a Majorette beating a Tomica in the past but the new line of Majorette cars are a far cry from those which are produced in Thailand during the 90s. The price of Majorette in Singapore now almost double from what they were 5 years ago. If the quality is good, I don't see why I will be rejecting this brand. What Majorette need is some repackaging and some good marketing in Asia in order to be successful.

The Majorette A1 wins almost hands down. Let's look at cars in the higher end of the scale, the Audi R8. The Tomica R8 (left) is made in Vietnam and scaled at 1/62 while the Majorette is made in Thailand and you see no scale on the base. The body of the Tomica looks sharp and pronounce. It looked proportionately made too. Not a bad effort after tons of critics on Tomica cars for the past 2 years. The Majorette is the total opposite of the Tomica. The design of the mould looks like it is made on a budget or inefficient time given to the designer. It doesn't even look like a Majorette. It reminds me of a Welly or Maisto. You don't have to touch it to know that it is a cheap toy, visual inspection will be more than sufficient. At times, I even thought the Majorette is build up from a Hyundai Coupe to look like a R8. No offence to Hyundai Coupe as I like this car as well especially the first generation.

Representation:
Tomica: 4 / 5
Majorette: 1.5 / 5

Detailing on the Tomica is good, you get a nice grill and nice rear end. The Tomica has no opening features but I am fine with it. You seldom see super cars having opening doors. If the doors open, it could break the flow of lines on the car. The car does come with workable suspension. No major flaws on the Tomica so far. The Majorette is certainly made on a budget, not much detailing and it has no suspension which I am now suspecting Majorette could have bought a cheap mould from a maker in China. The C-pillars looks fat and the whole car looks it is made on estimation since no scale is mentioned. What the Majorette offers in addition to the Tomica is a pair of wing mirror and a pair of wipers but those are awfully made too.

Detailing / Features:
Tomica: 3 / 5
Majorette: 2 / 5

The Tomica is finished in deep dark red and it's an awesome colour very close to the real thing. The paint is even and finished in good Tomica quality. The Majorette has the same problems like the A1. Uneven painting, slight scuff marks on roof and what is worse that it has tiny chip off on its hood near the windscreen. It's brand new and I didn't even play with it yet.

Paint Quality:
Tomica: 4 / 5
Majorette: 2 /5

General fit on finish on Tomica is good. Every detail is accurately painted without going over its boundaries. Car rolls well although the rear left wheel wobbles a little. Majorette is rather disappointing in the quality. I realised that the base is not punch riveted, it has screws to secure the base which is rather unusual. Only cheap toy cars from China use screws on base. To see it more positively, you can custom this R8 easier.

Fit & Finish:
Tomica: 3.5 / 5
Majorette: 2 / 5

Results:
Tomica: 14.5 / 20
Majorette: 7.5 / 20

I am kind of sure that the Majorette R8 is not a Majorette design but a cheap mould from China. Majorette has done a number of nice cars recently and I hope that I have the time and enough cars to cover them in next post.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Nice write-up on the comparison. I personally feel sad Tomica's quality has deteriorated over the years. (Reference: Your post on the cost-cutting measures by Tomica). Btw, where can I buy Majorette in Singapore. I rarely find them in mainstream toy stores. Appreciate your advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the last few years Majorette has pleasantly surprised me. Several years ago they broke more often and were too expensive.
    But in the last few years they're really well built and still have the moving parts and suspension. These three things make them superior to Siku in my book. And whn you take into account that the prices are similar... well that's game won for Majorette. In my ongoing review Matchbox vs Hot Wheels vs Majorette Toy Cars they've taken the first place when it come's to realism for young kids diecast toys.

    I am just so sad that you can't get Tomica cars easily in Croatia where I live :(. Because when I read your review I wanna get my hands on a few models! :D

    ReplyDelete